Friday, May 13, 2011

The Scare

Tuesday March 8th, 2011 I was at work.

I was about done with my route when I received a phone call from the elementary school that went like this:

secretary: Hi this is ____ from Midas Creek, we were calling to find out if you checked Jansyn out of school.

me: No, I have not checked her out.

secretary: Alright, well don't panic yet, but Jansyn did not come back from recess and we don't know where she is. We are still checking the bathrooms and the classrooms. I will call you back in a few minutes.

What?! "don't panic" and "we don't know where your child is" DO NOT belong in the same sentence!

Well, I did panic.... I was hoping a praying she had gone home. Who knows when she disappeared - lunch and then recess; that's an hour time frame she could have been gone for.
I called Mike (who works 5 minutes away from our house) and begged him to go home and see if she was there.

In the mean time, Sadee's mom Glenda (who teaches at the school) called.
She kept hearing them page Jansyn over the intercom and went to see what was going on. She was offering to go our house and see if Jansyn was there.
I told her she didn't need to because Mike was already going to do that.
At this point, they had Deryn out of class helping to look for Jansyn.

A few minutes later, I get a phone call from Glenda.

Glenda: I'm at your house knocking on the front door, but she is not answering. We see footprints in the snow going around the back.

Me: well, she's not supposed to answer the door. You will have to go in through the garage.

When Mike arrives, he finds Glenda, the school secretary, and the principal in our house looking for Jansyn.

Apparently, Jansyn got muddy at school and decided she should go home and change her shoes. When she got there, she changed to shorts, and was playing barbies - I'm not sure if she intended to go back to school or not.....

Mike called to tell me what was going on. Initially I was relieved.... then I remembered what our house looked like.... (I had been working for the last week, so needless to say, the housework was not caught up)

me: Oh my gosh! all those people are in our house? Is it clean? What does it look like? Did you do the dishes this morning?

Mike: (without missing a beat) Actually the principal wanted to know why there were so many dirty dishes in the sink.....

It took me a minute to realize he was teasing me....


Luckily, Jansyn was safe, but it was sure scary at the time!

No comments: