Thursday, March 29, 2012

What are my Chores?

A memory that makes me smile every time I think about it is Mike wanting to know what his chores would be.....

We had just boarded the airplane and settled into our chairs. We were waiting for our flight to leave for Florida - we were headed to Disney World for our Honeymoon.

We were still sitting on the runway when Mike said, "So, I need to know what my chores are going to be. You have to tell me now, or I will probably never help."

Let's be honest .... I hadn't even thought about it. But, he had a point. His mom did wait on him hand and foot.

After a brief conversation, we agreed his chores would be yard work, vacuuming, and folding the laundry....

Thirteen years later, we have learned to be flexible, and I have been spoiled.

Our conversation gave us a great start, but in reality it is about team work.

When we both worked full time, we split the housework 50/50 and on Saturdays, we worked in the yard together.

When I was pregnant and on bed rest, he did the house work.

When I have not worked outside the home, the housework is mine. When he worked full time while working on his MBA, the house and the yard were primarily mine.

Overtime, it has slowly become, whoever has time and is least busy, does it.

I am a lucky girl to have a husband who does just as much housework as I do.
AND, I am lucky enough to say, I almost never cook or do dishes on the weekend - he does.

It's not about who's job it is, it is about taking care of each other!

No comments: