Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy Thirteenth Anniversary

You stole my heart ... so I'm planning revenge.
I'm going to take your last name.

March 12th will be our 13th anniversary! I have decided to spend the rest of the month blogging "our story" including dating, and the many adventures we have survived together. I think Deryn and Jansyn will enjoy reading it one day, and in the mean time, maybe some of you will enjoy it too!

The year was 1996 and life was going well. I was working at Discover Card and had been promoted from Account Manager to Coach... their form of middle management on a team.
I religiously went to the gym everyday.
I was the Young Women's secretary.
I did baptisms for the dead with my cousin Suzi every Friday.
I was attending Salt Lake Community College, taking Interior Design classes as they were available. One day this career (Interior Design) was going to make me rich so I could fulfill my goal of becoming the rich and single aunt of the family.

What about love? I had the love of my life. A 1990 red Ford Bronco II, which despite it's acronym of Fix Or Repair Daily turned out to be more reliable and more enjoyable than most of the boys I had dated.
I had been hurt, and did not plan to ever date again. I had been wearing a self purchased ring on my ring finger for the last two years as a way to discourage anyone who may be interested, and for the most part, it worked. I didn't ever verbally claim to be married.... but the people who didn't know me just assumed.

Then he appeared. The training manager brought out several temporary employees from the training room and introduced them to our team. The next day they would be part of our team. Mike was among them.
The first time I saw Mike I was drawn to him. He was slightly taller than me and had dark brown hair and mesmerizing eyes. He was wearing Khaki pants, a light brown sweater over a long sleeved button up shirt, and brown Doc Martins. My guess is he was also wearing white socks, because that is all he ever wore at that time. It was me who taught him the difference between dress socks and casual socks.

Mike had just finished his Bachelors Degree at BYU and had applied for temporary employment while he looked for a "real" job.

My first impression was he looked like a spoiled rich boy.... I soon found out I was not even close on that first impression! My Account Managers and Team Leader seemed to think he and I were the perfect match... they all made it their business to make sure we went out.
I doubt we needed their help, but it was amusing!

Initially he refrained from showing interest, due to the ring, (I did not refrain from showing interest - why would a single girl do that?). He finally ask if I was married or not. He couldn't figure out why everyone kept telling him to ask me out when I was clearly married.
I said I was not.
Then why do you wear that ring? He wanted to know.
That was the last day I wore that ring on that finger.

I loved his eyes. They changed colors according to what he was wearing. He was kind, and polite, and while he did live in a nicer neighborhood than I did, he was not rich.
Mike was a smart guy, but he sure seemed to have a lot of questions, and I was happy to provide a lot of answers.

Our teammates were harassing us constantly.... Do you like him?.... Do you like her?... If he asked you out would you say yes?.... Just ask her out, I will bring you brownies if you ask her out...
Mike told me about the brownie bribe on one of our dates. We laughed, because we were already going out - we just hadn't mentioned it yet. Technically we shouldn't be dating since we were on the same team.
I replied with, "See if you can get them to throw in some drinks too! Then we will have snacks for our movie!"

Eventually we admitted we were dating, and Mike changed teams so we could continue dating. Although, after our first date, it is amazing he asked me out again.

We went bowling for our first date. I tried on way too many pants evaluating how I was going to look from behind while I was bowling. It does not work well to bowl without sticking your bottom out.... unfortunately there is no way around it. I was very nervous.

We finished bowling and made our way to Subway for lunch before we had to head into work for our afternoon shift. Did I mention I was nervous? I was. I spilled my 32 ounce Mountain Dew on him as my hand nervously bumped the cup. His clothes were soaked. He was understanding and helped me clean it up. He even asked me out again......

Our first kiss happened several months later. I was nervous ( are you seeing a theme here?). We stood outside in his driveway under a full moon with Van Morrison's Moon Dance playing in the background. It was a fast kiss which he still teases me about to this day.... "you were so nervous" he always says.

Three years later, we were married. Of course it didn't come easily.... there was the issue of the proposal......


1 comment:

Julie said...

Congratulations! I love hearing your story. It is fun to be reminded and I didn't know about the pants before the bowling or the soda accident. :) You are so funny. Amazing how 13 years goes so fast. Love you girl.