If you liked it then you shoulda' put a ring on it...
Ahh... the proposal. We began looking for rings in September of 1998. This was completely torturous for Mike - not because he didn't want to get married, but because he does not love jewelery. He doesn't even like it.
We went the rounds - but I was adamant. I had waited my whole life for a "birthstone" ring. Every time I asked for this for a birthday or Christmas, my parent's reply was you get a diamond when you get married. Of course I had to be born in the only month with a diamond as the birthstone.
He tried to tell me we should just get plain bands - like his parents did.
"Don't do it" said his Mom "I never should have agreed to that - don't let him talk you into it."
So we shopped, but we didn't buy - not until his sister decided to take things into her own hands.
We were at the mall one day when she said, "Why don't we just look at rings. Just show me what you would want."
I knew exactly what I wanted. A single band with a row of marquis cut diamonds. We found it.
That's when she called Mike and said, "We found the ring, come and buy it."
We waited for him. Within a few minutes he arrived and paid for the ring.
Now here's were it gets tricky....
I didn't want him to just hand the ring to me and say "Here you go"
How not romantic is that???
No, I prefer the theory You Get What You Expect.
So, I let him know what I expected - a creative proposal.
Is that asking a lot? I didn't think so. Especially not when I factor in that my Great Grandma on my Mom's side insisted her house be built before she married the guy proposing.
Comparatively, my request was down right reasonable.
I didn't know it was going to take three months.....
Yep, you read that right. We bought the rings the first week in October. He did not propose until December 24th.
I was living with my Grandma at the time because it was closer to the college I was attending. He showed up bright and early with breakfast, a dozen red roses, my Christmas presents, and most importantly a the ring and the proposal. Grandma let him in and anxiously waited for the news.
He got down on one knee and told me he loved me and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.... would I marry him?
The answer of course was yes, and he made my favorite holiday (Christmas Eve) even more favorite.
Just one of the many reasons I love this guy!
We went the rounds - but I was adamant. I had waited my whole life for a "birthstone" ring. Every time I asked for this for a birthday or Christmas, my parent's reply was you get a diamond when you get married. Of course I had to be born in the only month with a diamond as the birthstone.
He tried to tell me we should just get plain bands - like his parents did.
"Don't do it" said his Mom "I never should have agreed to that - don't let him talk you into it."
So we shopped, but we didn't buy - not until his sister decided to take things into her own hands.
We were at the mall one day when she said, "Why don't we just look at rings. Just show me what you would want."
I knew exactly what I wanted. A single band with a row of marquis cut diamonds. We found it.
That's when she called Mike and said, "We found the ring, come and buy it."
We waited for him. Within a few minutes he arrived and paid for the ring.
Now here's were it gets tricky....
I didn't want him to just hand the ring to me and say "Here you go"
How not romantic is that???
No, I prefer the theory You Get What You Expect.
So, I let him know what I expected - a creative proposal.
Is that asking a lot? I didn't think so. Especially not when I factor in that my Great Grandma on my Mom's side insisted her house be built before she married the guy proposing.
Comparatively, my request was down right reasonable.
I didn't know it was going to take three months.....
Yep, you read that right. We bought the rings the first week in October. He did not propose until December 24th.
I was living with my Grandma at the time because it was closer to the college I was attending. He showed up bright and early with breakfast, a dozen red roses, my Christmas presents, and most importantly a the ring and the proposal. Grandma let him in and anxiously waited for the news.
He got down on one knee and told me he loved me and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.... would I marry him?
The answer of course was yes, and he made my favorite holiday (Christmas Eve) even more favorite.
Just one of the many reasons I love this guy!
No comments:
Post a Comment