Landlord & Rental properties
I am sure both of you will remember the rental properties. We decided early in our marriage we wanted passive income... we didn't want all our money coming from one place. So, we invested in rental properties. We also wanted something we could work at as a family. I am sure you have "fond" memories of cleaning up trash and tree branches in the yard or of helping us clean after someone has moved out.
Some of the properties have been a good experience, others not so good.
Tenants come in great variety and we have certainly met interesting people along the way.
We have had tenants leave that we are truly sorry to see go, and others who did not leave soon enough.
We have had apartments left spic and span.... while others have had to be gutted and re-done.
We have served eviction notices, and gone to court to try and claim rent money (which is nearly impossible to get -even when the judge decides in your favor.)
We have had tenants who pay on time every month and tenants who are late every month.
My personal favorite is the obvious lies.... like when they can't afford rent in december, and they tell you this as you are staring at the new snowboards under the Christmas tree.....
Tenants have been a consistent adventure in the last 13 years of marriage.
I have to say I have enjoyed the times your Dad and I have spent the day (or days) working together laying tile or painting walls. Nothing is better than working side by side with your best friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment