Friday, June 17, 2011

Good Times, Good Friends

We first met in the fall of 1992. Amber and I (who have been friends since first grade) arrived at Ricks college, Dorm 4, room 106 and met our roommates Robyn & Julie.

Room 106 was a place where good friends and good memories were made!

These pictures are not the best.... 18 years old, cheap camera, and scanned!
(another appropriate title for this post would be: "Look Mike! I scanned them myself!")
However, I think they accurately reflect the good times we had.

In the first picture below you can see we totally took to heart the saying ,
"Every Member A Missionary!"

L-R: Robyn, Amber, Maryann, Julie

It's true, we were not only mature, but resourceful and thrifty - even a burnt cake can be used to lift ones spirits! There is nothing like a good food fight with your roommates!



College was a place where even the hair dryer had multiple uses....
This is how you defrost the freezer- Right?

And of course, if you can't act your age - wait! I mean be a little silly, then you haven't lived!
Marjorie Hinckley says it well when she says:
"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it! You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh, crying gives me a headache!"


A couple of days ago, I had the privilege of having lunch with two of these friends!
We sat at Cafe Rio for hours "remembering when" and catching up on life.

It's clear we haven't changed at all - Robyn has a better camera, but aside from that we are exactly the same (minus the high bangs and the paper ties).
I don't think we are older ... just a little wiser. We have experienced more of life. We have more knowledge, more compassion, and more to be thankful for.



We still know how to have fun, and although no one threw food, we did contemplate re- in acting the mustache picture! (yes, I made Julie laugh while she was trying to drink)


I am blessed to know these women and hope our friendship continues for many years....

Maybe one day we will all sit around together again and make brownies at midnight, and leave our shoes in the middle of the floor because there is no one to tell us we can't. We will talk into the late hours of the night and share our hopes and dreams for the future!

Thanks Ladies for a great afternoon!

Just because I had so much fun, I have written this song to commemorate the event...
or maybe it's because this Dan Fogelberg song got stuck in my head and the lyrics were so easily changed .... I am sure he is rolling over in his grave right now as you sing this in your head!


Met my old roommates at the Café Rio
The sun was shining bright that day
We stood together in the usual line
Waiting for our Tostados…

We recognized each other instantly
Soon each one was smiling wide -
We hugged and then we talked excitedly
And we laughed until it hurt

We took our salads to a small table
And there we ate and reminisced
We sat there lost within our memories
As the time passed quickly by

We went to photograph the moment
But the timer wouldn’t work
We finally got the camera figured out
And we smiled and we laughed

We sat and talked of innocence
We sat and talked of now
Each was uplifted by another’s strength

Though none could explain how-

Just for a moment we were back at school
And felt that we were young again
But as we turned to make our way back home
Reality would soon set in……


2 comments:

Robyn said...

Holy big hair!! It should come back in style because I can totally rock the biggness. I forgot about that cake, but I do remember sitting around that stove to get warm before they would turn the heat on in the winter. Just great memories. It was so good to see you!

Julie said...

Not sure how Robyn could forget about that poor cake. :) I can rock the biggness too! It was so great to see you both. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You are both such great friends. Amazing so many years have gone by. Thanks for the amazing memories. Sure love you.