Deryn was in first grade and could finally write and kind of spell. So, I decided we would write notes back and forth. This would not only reinforce what she was learning at school, but give us another way to communicate.
It went well for a while - I would write a note in the book and leave it on her pillow. She would reply on the next page and leave it on my pillow. Then one day she decided she didn't want to write notes for a while.
A Long While!
A few months ago the notebook mysteriously re-appeared on my pillow!
It began:
Dear Mom,
Sorry it has taken me so long to write back - it has practically been 4 years!
I laughed and read on.
Over the last few months it has served as a way for her to communicate her worries, her fears, and her questions. I am amazed at what she expresses in the notebook that she may not otherwise confide in me.
I am grateful I provided an avenue in which she feels comfortable coming to me with these things.
It has been a way for me to reinforce my love for her, answer her questions about life, bear testimony, and confide in her that I once had her same fears.
I recently started this with Jansyn as well. She has responded with excitement and writes really long notes with adorable pictures.
Last week however, I had to laugh when both notebooks appeared on my bed on the same day with the same question:
Mom, what do you do all day while I am at school?
Deryn even made a chart she was hoping I would fill out!
So, what did I do last week? In addition to the regular things (ie: providing them all with breakfast lunch & dinner, making sure the laundry is clean and the tortoises are fed, the dishes are done and that the kids do their chores....)
I did the following:
- Spoke with the pediatrician, made a follow up appointment with a GI specialist for Jansyn
- Handled a work issue
- Went to my sewing group
- Volunteered for Family Services
- Went to the temple
- Had my regular tuesday lunch date with Mike!
- Went to my art class
- planned & packed for camping
- weeded in the yard
- Morning workouts with Mike (except for Wednesday when Deryn & I got up early to finish reading Allie Finkle because the library book was due back and we just had to know: Who would get to be Princess Penelope in the class play The Realm of Recycling ---- would it be Allie? Or would it be Cheyenne?
- Replied to the notes that included the question that led to this post!
- Watched my weekly TV show
- Spent time with Grandma Coleman so Mom could go to Girl's Camp with Dad (Bishopric night)
- Dance class
- volunteering at the school
- driving kids to art & gymnastics
What will they do all day?
2 comments:
You will all come hang out with us at the pool- now that you are out of school. Let's make a date. We miss you!
Sounds Great! Let's plan it!
Post a Comment