Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Because Everyone Needs A Third Part Time Job...

So, I must document the process of acquiring a third job.....
Just to clarify, jobs are as follows:
1. Part time Kindergarten teacher (until my co-teacher has her baby, then full time)
2. Extended Care... (watching kids that stay after school until parents are done with work - only 6 hours a week, but a separate job with separate requirements...)
3. Soon to be a Rural Route Carrier --- I could be delivering your mail!

Of course, I am also a full time wife and mother, but we will call that parenting!

So, here is the story. In June, the summer school classes we had planned on fell through... this meant no income for the summer months unless one of us found something (luckily Mike did:)
But, I of course started applying for jobs too. So here is the process to get hired for the job I applied for in June:

  1. Apply for the job - on line application take about (1.5 hrs)
  2. Take an online test... another (1.5 hours)
  3. Take a written exam testing memory (1.5 plus commute time)
  4. Attend a "mandatory meeting" explaining the expectations of the position (45 min)
  5. Fill out and return papers for background check and driving record check. Must be completed in a small timeframe.
  6. Complete a 2nd paper application to take to an interview (1 hour)
  7. Attend the interview (45 min)
  8. Take a pre- driving test (2 hours including commute time)
  9. Take a drug test (1 hour including commute time)
  10. Medical assessment
  11. Yet another application (about 2 hours for # 10 & 11 combined)
  12. Finger prints taken and mailed to HR (15 min)
  13. Next, I will attend training at the academy and learn to sort and case the mail
  14. Then I will attend a driving course for driving on the wrong side of the car and then take a written driving test (this will be a 40 hour week for # 13 & 14)
  15. Assuming I pass the written test, I will take an actual driving test (4 hours) and then I will be an official post office employee.....
So there you have it - the 15 step process to a third part time job!

3 comments:

Wendy Paul said...

I am worried I might not see you ever again! You will be so busy.... Let me know how it all goes during the long week of testing!

Melissa said...

Busy girl! Who is your co-teacher? I'm thinking...is Michelle pregnant? Have fun with all your crazy jobs!

Maryann said...

I am teaching with Tami this year