Sunday, May 24, 2009

It Pays to Know what you want!


Alright! I am a little behind, so hopefully I will post several updates over the next few day! The first one is from February.

Jansyn had been asking and asking to have a pink chair in her room. It sounded like a good idea to me. Somewhere for her to sit and read books - and she's got plenty of room in her bedroom - so we started looking. We watched the ads on KSL and soon found a mauve pink chair for sale for $25. I called and made an appointment to see the chair.

Of course Jansyn wanted to come with me. I was a little worried that she may throw a tantrum if I decided not to buy the chair. All the way there I talked to her about the chair and told her if the chair was dirty or torn or broken we wouldn't buy it. I told her not to cry to just walk away and we would find another chair if this was the case.

When we got to the house, Jansyn announced she would wait in the car and I could just tell her if it looked okay. Of course, this didn't last long! Before the lady even answered the door, Jansyn had changed her mind and was at the door with me.

We looked at the chair and sat in the chair. It was very comfortable. It did have a small area that was bleached, but for $25 and for a child's room it looked like a great deal!

So, I asked Jansyn if she would like to get the chair. She said "no". Now I am confused -
Me: Don't you want a pink chair?
Jansyn: I want a light pink chair.
Me: we can put a light pink pillow on it or a blanket
Lady: Grabs a pink scarf and drapes it across the chair
me: see it looks nice with something light pink on it.

But, Jansyn is insistent. She wants a light pink chair. I tell the lady it's a nice chair, but it's for her room and if she doesn't want it, I'm not going to buy it.

Then the lady says, "Well, I think I understand, I am a pink girl myself. I do have another chair I could sell you, I guess it doesn't really matter which chair I sell." She takes us back to her bedroom where a perfect pastel pink chair is sitting.

Jansyn is grinning from ear to ear. So, we bought the light pink chair. The dreaded tantrum did not occur, and is seems it pays to know what you want!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love it!! That is such a great story. Good for you!