Monday, November 4, 2013

Creations by Jansyn

Obviously, this blog is behind.  Today I will attempt to bring it up to date!

First post, Creations by Jansyn!

I think of myself as a fairly creative person, but watching Jansyn this year, I am amazed at the things an eight year old is capable of!  I think she is my creativity times two!  Or maybe the difference is that she follows through on her ideas.  I love generating ideas, but often I don't do anything with the idea.  Jansyn on the other hand has had a very busy summer.  I took a few pictures of her creations to share....  I can't help but wonder what all this creativity will lead her to for a career...

The picture below is of the memory game that Jansyn created and convinced Mike to play with her.  I was at work and I a told Deryn sat on the couch laughing.   So, here are the rules:

She made two of each card seen below.
All the cards were mixed and placed face down.   The first player turns over 2 cards.  If they are a match, you keep the match and draw again.  If they are not a match, you must do the exercises listed on both of the cards you turned over!
Mike said he was exhausted by the time they finished the game.


These are swimming suits Jansyn made for her dolls out of socks she no longer wanted.



This is the four poster barbie bed she made out of a shoe box.  She has also attempted to make a doll stroller, doll bunk beds, and a high chair out of various boxes..


 Perhaps my favorite, but also most stressful, was the birthday party she planned for herself.  This is not her year for a friend birthday party, so she got very little financial help from us.

This is what she did:

  • She decided she was having a summer party because it is always too cold to run through the sprinklers in October
  • She made a list of the activities she would like to have, assigned times to each activity (ie:  she alloted 12 minutes for Simon Says)
  • She added up the activity minutes and made her hand written invitations announcing the party would last 3 hours and 17 minutes.
  • She passed out the invitations
  • She made her own decorations and cut streamers to the length she would like (I helped her hang them)
  • She made cupcakes and frosting with a little assistance from me
I know I took a picture of her activity list, but I can't find it.  If I do, I will post it.

Her party was a success and her friends had fun.  I love that she believed she had the ability to make it happen - or to get what she wanted.  I think at 8 years old if my mom had told me it wasn't my year for a party I would have said ok and that would have been the end of it.
I admire that she was determined and found a way to make it happen.  I think that will take her far in life.  


No comments: