At the funeral, Deryn did not want to see the dead body in the casket, she did not want to "tuck grandma in" before the casket lid was closed like some of the other great grand kids did.
What she really wanted to do was ride in the Hearse. This was not possible the day of the funeral, but Little Grandma arranged for us to go see the hearse on another day!
The other part of death that was new and exciting to my kids was that they got to inherit things!
All the grand kids and great grand kids had the chance to walk through the house and make a list of items they would like their name to be placed in a drawing for. Below is the coveted Which Witch is Which? game we loved to play as kids. My kids were so excited to play it ( I have to admit it seemed a little less exciting at thirty something than it did when I was 10... However, still a neat thing to have and share with my kids.
All the excitement of drawing for items caused my kids to wonder what they would get when I died. Deryn asked if she could have my black and white ring from Prague. I said yes not realizing how seriously she was going to take that. She made note on her whiteboard.... months later it is still there.
So, since I plan for Deryn and Jansyn to both have a copy of this family journal, let it be noted that Deryn has been promised the black and white ring, and Jansyn is promised the opal ring because it is her birthstone. They will probably both also be left with a tortoise because that is what happens when you get a pet that lives as long as you...
No comments:
Post a Comment