Thursday, March 7, 2013

Our no good, very bad day

So, Friday March 1st, we had our 4th snow boarding lesson.

We checked the kids out of school and headed up the mountain ON TIME, and I emphasize on time because that is unusual for us.

While on the free way, we attempted to take our usual exit, but ended up having to quickly change lanes to avoid an accident.  We missed our exit.

But, not to worry - there would soon be another workable exit, it would just take us a little longer. 
We arrived at  the resort with not much time to spare and were met by an over flowing parking lot - the fullest we have seen.

After several minutes spent circling the lot, it was finally decided the girls and I would take our stuff and run to make our lesson while Mike found a place to park.  As we were running toward the lodge I realized I had Mike's lift ticket with me and it was possible we would be separated, so I chased down the car to give it to him. 

Once in the lodge, we made a quick restroom stop, despite the time, and then rushed to rent our snow boards.  Unfortunately, their system had not been working and our paper work was not ready.  We had to print it out person by person.  The staff was good to quickly get our equipment, Mike caught up with us, and it appeared it was going to be a good day after all!  The sun was even out!

We dropped the girls off at their lesson and headed to ours - where Mike realized his lift ticket/badge was still in the car.  He would not be able to get on the lift.  The instructor and I decided to make one run while Mike ran the 2 - 3  block distance to where the car was parked, mind you he was running in his snowboarding boots which are slightly awkward...

Eventually we were reunited at the lift and had a great time zooming down the beginner hill.  We were linking toe side and heel side and hardly even falling! IT WAS FUN!!!!!
We even got some pictures!


Here is our instructor Dan, and Mike ready to head down the hill.

After several runs on the beginner hill, Dan suggested we should try a little bit harder run, and we agreed.

Part way down the run, I fell and instinctively put my hands out to break my fall.  That's when my right wrist started throbbing.  I tried to push myself up to a standing position, but my right hand was no help- it hurt!  I took my glove off to see what was wrong and saw a large bump on my wrist.  I tried to put my glove back on, but it hurt to touch my fingers.  That's when I knew I was in trouble.  Mike was way ahead of me, but our instructor had seen me fall and was headed back.  Together we snow boarded down the rest of the hill and made our way to the medical/first aide clinic at the bottom of the hill.  We passed Mike on the way and decided he would take the girls on the lift once more since their lesson was over and then they would meet me at the clinic.  The waiting room was packed!

My first concern was whether or not they accepted my insurance, but after a few minutes I no longer cared if they took it or not - I wanted the pain to stop!!!!
Eventually my arm was x-rayed and it was confirmed I had broken my right wrist.
Since we didn't get pictures of snow boarding, I was determined we would get pictures of something.  Mike got the camera out to take our picture with the cute rescue dog, but the lens wouldn't open.  Now we feared I had broken our new camera (luckily when we got home we realized it just needed to be charged).

Unfortunately, Mike spent most of the hour I was at the medical clinic looking for the helmet Jansyn took off and then forgot to pick up.  Why was her helmet off you might wonder?  Well she was teaching her instructors how to do cart wheels in the snow...yes she had two full grown men doing cart wheels on the ski slope.....

Lucky for us, someone turned the helmet in and we did not have to pay for it ... thank goodness because it was turning out to be a pretty expensive snow boarding day. 


No comments: