Conversation with Jansyn:
Jansyn: I sure hope dad is the president one day.
Me: The president? Like what kind of president?
Jansyn: The president of the United States.
Me: Uh, I have never heard dad say he wants to be that. I don't think that will happen. Why would you want him to be the president?
Jansyn: It would just be cool to know the president.
Me: Well, it's a big job. Dad would have to work all the time.
Jansyn: Would he get paid?
Me: Yes, they get paid.
Jansyn: Ooh! I would do it. If they paid me $13,000.00 I would be the president.
Yes, I now know how we Americans can save some money!
Sunday Surprise
We arrived at church one Sunday and sat on our bench waiting for the meeting to start. As we did, Deryn was reviewing the program. Suddenly she turns to me and says,
"You're doing something today mom?"
"Not that I know of." I replied
"Well your name is in the program."
*Panic*
Quickly I grab the program and see for myself that indeed I am listed as giving the closing prayer. I suppose this would not bother most people, but I panic when I get asked to pray. It's not that I don't like to pray, it is that some people can give really eloquent, beautiful prayers. I am NOT one of those people. I become completely stressed about what I should say or should not say when I am praying on behalf of so many people. To be honest, and as I have expressed to my husband many times, I would rather speak in sacrament meeting than pray. Speaking means I can prepare, gather my thoughts, type them up and when panic sets in, I can read all the eloquent words I planned to say!
So what happened? Apparently the executive secretary called our house when I was not home, asked my husband if I could say the prayer and he agreed.....
Don't worry, I let him know that a more appropriate response might have been:
"She is not here right now, you will have to check with her"
"She isn't here, but I would be happy to say the prayer" also would have worked.
Name calling
At our house the summer is well underway - actually for my kids it is almost over. Boredom has set in. This means petty arguments and name calling. Needless to say, we are really tired of hearing them call each other degrading names, so sick of it that we have decided if we hear it, they are grounded for a week.
They then get the opportunity to earn one day of "freedom" during that week if they can write a list containing 25 things they like about the other person! I think the list has been a good solution. It has been good for them to think about what they do like and the lists have been fun to read. They are also excited to read what the other person likes about them. Sometimes we have to send them back to list more things. For instance 'I like the color of her lamp' has nothing to do with the person.....
No comments:
Post a Comment