This was the chant being yelled back and forth as we entered the stadium parking lot for the Raiders Football game in Oakland CA.
We, were late of course, and parked beyond the overflow parking as we were not willing to pay $25 to park in a field!
So, after a 1 ½ mile walk to the stadium we were entering chaos! The majority of us were dressed in black, although a few wore white.
Those who were either brave or stupid wore jersey’s of the opposing team.
We walked through the parking lot littered with food remnants and beer cans – the remains of a morning spent celebrating the game and the hoped for victory.
We joined a long line surrounded by people already wasted. Some carried a beer in each hand, and many had additional bottles in their back pockets.
People stood smoking beneath the no smoking sign, and security wisely ignored their actions.
Beside me my husband was on his phone keeping tabs on the game which had just begun. Behind me, frustrated people complained about the wait and I smiled as I heard someone say, “Man, this gonna take forever! The problem is we all look suspicious in this color – man they gotta check everyone!”
We did indeed all get frisked as we passed security. Frankly I was glad to pass security and get away from the lady in line behind me who kept rubbing my back – and every time I moved forward, so did she.
Inside the stadium, we wandered trying to find our seats… and a concession stand that took credit card rather than cash. I was continually amazed that more drinks were not spilled as we pushed our way through the crowd - most of which carried uncovered drinks.
We finally found our seats, which turned out to be great! We were in the lower section, and it was now the second quarter. This was the first football game I have attended, and I must say it is much more fun to see in person than on TV.
These are my game observations… what I loved and did not love about the game!
I loved that families were there together!
I loved seeing father’s and son’s; Grandparents and grandchildren enjoying the day together!
I loved that when we got points or our team did something fabulous, there were high 5’s all around! I was exchanging high 5’s with total strangers – some of which I would normally be scared to pass on the street during broad daylight! But for a moment, we were all united in purpose and emotion!
I loved listening to the man behind me who thought he was the coach! He had me laughing the whole time as he yelled directions to the quarter back as if he would hear and obey.
Then it occurred to me, what if the quarter back could actually hear all these people yelling these things? Can you imagine the chaos and the conflict of these directions?
Then I smiled even more as the directions changed from advice to a plea… it was as if he was praying to the football god’s … “Come on man, you gotta win the game! You just gotta win! I bet $500 on this game… please win the game!” Of course there were a few colorful words included in his game commentary, but overall I was amused! He added to the fun of the game!
As people became more drunk, it was amusing to watch them stumble up the stairs. How they drove home …. I don’t want to know.
I laughed as I watched the lady in front of me try to drink from a stack of about 15 beer cups…. It spilled all down the front of her, but didn’t seem to phase her.
I smiled when I thought about how much money we paid for these seats and the fact that we stood for most of the game because we were excited and because everyone else in front of us was excited and standing too!
It was interesting to watch as security surrounded a man in the next section over and 3 officers had to forcibly handcuff and carry him out of the stadium. Everyone was riled up and beer cups were flying - I think the weather forecast was cloudy with a chance of beer!
I smiled as I watched the poor security officer following the cheerleaders around the field. They would periodically change quadrants, and each time they moved, she had to follow. They would jog in their skimpy outfits to their next location. She would jog behind in her full security uniform – she was twice their size, but trying hard to keep up.
I loved that the Raiders won the game!
I loved that together Mike and I did something he has always wanted to do… attend a Raiders football game!



1 comment:
Look at that running meter--You are amazing! Sounds like you guys are staying busy. We should try to get together after the first of the year. Maybe Julie would be up for lunch or a girl's night out.
Post a Comment