Now, I realize of course, this quote is in reference to children, but let's just talk about the work children create.
I miss the endorphin rush you get when you actually accomplish something. You take a project and you move it from point "A" to point "B" and then it stays at point "B". Thirty minutes later, it is still at point "B" where it is supposed to be .... 3 days later it is still at point "B"... You get the point. You cross it off your list, you experience a moment of success, you feel capable of accomplishing things. You complete one project and move onto the next.
These days I don't feel much sense of accomplishment and the endorphin rushes are few and far between.
Let's take for example, mopping the floor. This was my experience just last week.
- I vacuum and sweep the kitchen floor.
- I am about halfway done mopping the floor when Jansyn bursts in the back door and proceeds to run across the floor with muddy feet. (of course this is the half that was just mopped, not the half still needing to be done.)
- I shoo her out and tell her not to come in with muddy feet again.
- I re-mop the floor and complete the whole thing
- The floor was done for maybe 10 minutes before she came in again - this time without muddy feet! Whew!
- Oh wait, now she is pouring creme soda from one cup to another and now, the clean for 10 minutes floor needs to be mopped again!
- What fun would it be to pour soda and not spill it?
"Wow! That is the cleanest floor I have ever seen! What did you do? Mop it three times today?"
What about the living room? I doubt that any of you have every seen my living room clean, but it is not for lack of trying.
The other day I kept track of the number of times I had the living room clean - toys removed, pillows fluffed and in their place, I even vacuumed the floor the first time that day.
I had the living room in that state at five different times during the day
But, by the time I went to bed, it looked just like it did when I woke up. Pillows off the couch, toys on the floor, shoes in the corner...
I need one of those signs that says, "My Living Room was clean for 5 minutes today, sorry you missed it!"
2 comments:
I want one of those signs, too! That is funny you wrote this, I told Ivan, 'I cleaned the kitchen and living room three times before noon. I give up." I haven't cleaned it again, it seems like there is no point!
I so understand that one! Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it. :)
Post a Comment