Sunday, July 20, 2008

Drinks in America

Food for thought... or should I say drink for thought!

The other day we were eating out and I noticed a large sign above the counter asking customers to spend 30 Cents more to get a bigger drink. I started wondering - why do we fall for that? If you are going to eat in the restaurant, and the re-fills are free.... why would you pay for a bigger cup? We should be buying the smallest cup and re-filling for free.

Last night I went to the movies. I spent $3.65 for a bottle of water..... I could have bought a 24 pack at the grocery store next door for $3.99! Talk about a profit margin! Once again, why do we do this?

Then I started thinking about it more. Did you realize at a nice restaurant you pay at least a dollar more for soda just because it comes in a glass ..... I don't get the keep the glass, what exactly are they charging me for? I don't think their soda is any different than the soda I get at the fast food restaurant. Hmmmm

And what about shakes. Have you ever noticed that if you take your whole family for shakes @ $3.00 a shake ... for my family this is $12.00 .... For $7.00 at Harmons I could have bought a large bucket of Ice Cream and had shakes 3 or 4 nights in a row!

Anyway - something to think about!

2 comments:

Emmalee said...

That is so weird that you said that! I was just thinking that at work today while I was filling a large drink. I'm like, "Why don't they just buy the small one and refill it to their heart's content?"

Great minds think alike! :)

Allan said...

It's not just here. I paid anywhere from $R2.50 to $R4.00 for a can of soda in a restaurant in Brazil when you can buy it for about $R1.00 in the store. Or sometimes you could buy a 2 liter in the restaurant to share with the whole table for almost the same price as a can. Doesn't make sense to me.