Monday, February 1, 2010

Going the Distance

As I approach my first 100 miles for the year, I can't help but reflect on when running first began for me.

July 16, 2008 I set a goal to run/walk 100 miles by August 31, 2008. I accomplished that goal, and the journey was long! I walked most of the miles and would try to run for a mile at a time huffing and puffing!

August 22, 2009 I ran my first 5k! I was on cloud 9 for weeks and finished in 28:59 min! I remember my goal was just to run the whole thing. I was so proud that I ran the whole thing at a pretty decent speed!

December of 2009 I started thinking I needed to run another race in 2010 (you just can't beat the endorphin rush!). Funny, because one day I thought I wonder if I could run 1000 miles next year... I did the math and started contemplating. A couple of days later, Tall Mom said she was starting a 1000+++ mile club for 2010.
I decided I would join and I have been running ever since!!

Today, I ran the 10k distance (6.2 miles) for the first time ever!!! It was amazing! I have been so excited all day! It made me feel like I could conquer the world! A big difference from my first attempt to run in 2008....

I ended today at 96.4 miles ytd and will reach 100 miles tomorrow!!!!

Hooray for running! Only 900 miles left to go!

3 comments:

Robyn said...

You are my idol!! I so wish I could do this--maybe next year. So a few questions--shin splints? They seem to always be giving me problems. And how to run back to back days? I can only run every other day. If I run back to back the second day is bad--low energy, so sore, etc. I would love your imput.

Allan said...

Yay! 100 miles! How fast is your 10k time?

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

CONGRATS!! I love to look back and see how far I have come and i LOVE LOVE to hear SUCCESS stories of others. Big huge hugs!

What is your reward for 100 miles?