Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time Well Spent

I have had the opportunity to spend two full days with Grandma Coleman. The first day was the Monday before Thanksgiving.
It was nice. I went to the Crosslands Center where she was staying and we had a busy day!
We went to physical therapy for her arms. She did lacing. Watching her do this reminded me of watching her make those pretty mats she made from raffia.
Then she had to remove various objects from green putty!
Grandma was good... she found more than she was looking for! Guess someone else missed some:)
Next was weights. She pushed weight forward, she pulled weight back.
We got her back in bed just in time for the nurse to come in and get her back out!
Lunch was next. This was Grandma's highlight.
I went to the cafeteria with her. They kept asking if I would like to eat with her. I said I would just sit with her. After the third time, I finally agreed to eat.
Me: sure, I'll eat
Grandma: You are going to eat hospital food?
Me: I guess so, I'm here and it's lunch time.
Grandma: Smiles and snickers.....

Oh my goodness..... no wonder people there don't eat!
The meat loaf was okay at best.... far more fat than I prefer. I think I was eating the littlest bites I have ever eaten in my life.
The potatoes were bland, the gravy overwhelming... it made me want to gag.
The vegetables looked overcooked, but tasted ok.
The dessert...... Well, I am a desert girl all the way - no self control when it comes to desserts. I was done after the first bite.
Actually, I was done before I finished the first bite, but it wouldn't be polite to spit it out now would it?

The whole time I was spooning incredibly small bites into my mouth I just kept thinking: I have to eat this or Grandma won't eat.... I have to eat this or Grandma won't eat.

Well, Grandma, who had not been eating much out ate me that day..... she laughed about it for days afterwards and told all her visitors that her grand-daughter ate hospital food and didn't like it.
Unfortunately, two other grandchildren did not learn from my mistake and have similar stories to tell.....

After lunch, it was time for leg physical therapy. Grandma did some leg presses, and then used a machine that appeared to be a combination of a bike and an eliptical machine. She did great on that machine.... pedaled for more time than she was supposed to!
Then Grandma's brother came to visit.
Then Jerald and Mom and Thelma arrived.....

I don't know how Grandma ever got any rest there!

Today I spent the morning with Grandma. She has moved to Mom's house now and so we are taking turns sitting with her while Mom is at work. She was tired today and rested a lot.
Today she told me about the first Christmas she spent with Grandpa.
When I asked her what her first Christmas with him was like, she smiled and said, "It was fun! It was a good Christmas!"

They lived with Grandpa's family in Teasdale Utah. Grandpa's family hadn't had a Christmas tree for years. Grandma insisted they should have one. Grandpa said he would take the horse and go find a tree. He thought he would take a rope and the horse could pull the tree back.
Grandma told him absolutely not! The tree would be ruined and broke on one side if the horse drug the tree back!
So, how did he get the tree back? I ask.
Grandma said she didn't know - she never ask him.
She said the tree was nice and they put it in the corner by the window. Everyone who drove into Teasdale could see it lit in the window.
She said they bought a few ornaments, which she still has.

I ask what she gave Grandpa for Christmas. She didn't remember. She said, we didn't usually give much to each other - just things that we needed.

So fun to hear stories from her life.

2 comments:

Dave and Shelley, Spencer and Jake said...

What fun stories - Grandma is a good storyteller. I still laugh about your grandpa being told to kiss her when they got married.

Becky said...

Thanks for posting these stories. I loved reading them!