Thank goodness for second chances!
Last month, I kept thinking to myself I should call my Grandma. I should go see my Grandma. We should go rake Grandma's leafs for Home Evening. We should take Grandma lunch. I, however, did not do any of these things. I totally ignored these promptings. Now, its not like I was sitting at home on the couch watching TV and eating bon bons... I have a busy life! Two jobs, family, church calling etc....
Finally one Thursday morning, I did call Grandma and her phone was busy.... odd....
Later I found out it was busy because my Mom and brother were there calling doctors. Grandma was not well.
When I got the phone call she was in ICU with fluid in her lungs, stomach, and around her heart words cannot express the guilt I felt for not following any of those promptings.
I started thinking things like: What was the last conversation I had with Grandma? When did I last see her? What have I been doing that was so much more important than this?
Well, Grandma pulled through, and I got a second chance. Now I have seen Grandma more times in the last month than in the last year!
While it is hard to see her slowly go downhill, I am grateful for the chance to spend more time, ask more questions, and make more memories.
I am grateful I can be there for her and return a portion of the kindness she has shown to me over the years.
1 comment:
It is rare we get second chances...count this as a blessing for both of you.
I think this is called a tender mercy. Pretty sure.
Post a Comment