Monday, December 29, 2008

Can't we all just get along?

As a mother, I find it discouraging when my children argue, leave each other out, or say and do mean things to each other..... what mother doesn't? Especially irritating is the word "mine".
And the tattling? Ridiculous: For example, the kids like to dress up in my shoes. Deryn tattled the other day that Jansyn took my shoes out of her (Deryn's) room without asking.... the first thing I pointed out was that Deryn took them out of my room without asking!
I am sure this is all normal, I am sure I did all these things (my siblings would be happy to share any number of stories to demonstrate this point), and it certainly gives me a greater appreciation for what my parents did - heavens they had 3 times as many kids! I can only imagine the fun!
This year though, I decided I had had enough. I think I decided this around October. This is when "the plan" was hatched.
This year when our children awoke, the tree was pretty barren (not completely, because I am not that mean). Here is what they found:


The round canisters/boxes off to the right of the tree were theirs. Everything else was either for me, Mike, or an extended family member. It took them a minute as they looked for their presents to figure out that was it. (or at least they thought so).

They opened their boxes and found small presents wrapped inside, books, a shirt, small toys, etc.
Eventually they noticed the note taped to the mantel. Wow! A letter from Santa Clause.

In the letter Santa tells them he is sad about the number of times he has seen them being unkind to one another. He says he thought a lot about what gift he could bring and he has decided to bring the gift of friendship. He says the friendship of a sister is the best gift he could think of to bring and something he hopes they will cherish for many years to come. He then says they must find the rest of their present together AND the presents to not belong to an individual they belong to both girls and are all activities they can do together. They were then sent on a treasure hunt to find Karaoke, and art center, and a dance dance pad.

I am hoping this somewhat improves their relationship as they realize they can have fun together!

2 comments:

Opa and Grandma said...

There is a wonderful book called "Lulu Learns to End the Tattle Battles" at www.lululearns.com. It is very helpful in teaching kids to get along.

Julie said...

Let me know how it works. I love the idea. My kids do pretty good but tattling is sure a big one around here. I'm going to check out what Pam said. Hope all is well.